Sunday, May 29, 2011

How to force VLC to use S/PDIF.

After I got my receiver, I wanted to pass through AC3/DTS to my receiver, so that it can decode the signals digitally. In VLC I had to select that option every time I play a movie. To default this,

first go to Tools >> Preferences >> Audio, and then under "Output Module", select "Win32 waveOut extension output." You should now see a check box that says "Use S/PDIF when available." Tick it, click "Save" and you should be good to go.

The VideoLAN Forums • View topic - Help with a/52 over s/pdif

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for that tip, I couldn't work it out on my own. :)

Unknown said...

You Sir are a frikkin ROCK STAR!!

Been stumped by this one for toooo long.

Muchas Gracias
Marty

crumrugin said...

THANK YOU WORKED Pefecto

Unknown said...

Excellent advice, works perfectly. Thank you

Unknown said...

Doono how to thank you. Been looking for an answer for a while

Unknown said...

This worked, even though I have an HDMI connection to my AV Receiver.

If I have HDMI, should I just let VLC/XBMC decode?

Apart from the nice, cozy feeling of seeing "Dolby Digital" or "DTS Surround" show up on my AV Receiver, are there advantages of pass through of encoded signals to the AV Receiver?

Unknown said...

How do you navigate to "tools" in Windows 10??? Everything is different in 10 :-(

Nishil said...

you can follow the same instruction in Windows 10.